College Credit Plus FAQs

  • Eligible Ohio students in grades 7 through 12 can take college classes at Ohio colleges at no or little cost. Students who are enrolled in a nonpublic school or home school will need to annually apply for CCP funding for their intended college credit hours. Review the Ohio Higher Ed website regarding nonpublic & homeschooled families for more information.

    To enroll in classes with North Central State College under CCP, a student must:

    • Submit to their school counselor the Intent to Participate form by April 1, annually
    • *Homeschool and nonpublic students will submit their Intent to Participate form annually between Feb. 15 – Apr. 1, in the OH|ID portal within their CCP Funding Application, for the Ohio Dept. of Education.
      • In May, provide NCSC with a copy of their CCP Funding Letter .
    • Complete NCSC’s CCP Application, ACCUPLACER or ACT (when needed), Student Orientation and Advising/Registration

  • CCP Eligibility and Readiness

    The State of Ohio requires that students meet statewide CCP Eligibility requirements through one of the following means.

    1.) Qualifying Test Scores with ACT or Accuplacer (PDF)
    2.) 3.0 or higher cumulative high school GPA
    3.) 2.75-2.99 Cumulative GPA AND A or B in relevant high school course (3rd unit of Math and English)
    Guidance on this Ohio Requirement

    Please see the Testing and Assessment Services page for testing information, including preparation materials.

    Social and Emotional Readiness

    Students and Parents/Guardians will also want to consider the social and emotional maturity that a college course requires. CCP students, even as minors, are college students. By choosing to participate, once eligible, a student is assuming the same responsibilities of an adult college student and viewed as an independent decisionmaker.

    CCP is a wonderful opportunity for students to earn college credit and explore future majors! There is also risk  to consider and discuss.

    • If a student fails or withdraws late from a course, the student and family can be required to pay for the tuition for that course.
    • Grades earned in a CCP course are also calculated into their high school GPA and transcript.
    • Going from a middle or high school to that first college course can be challenging for students to shift into the expectations of college instructors. Much of the course knowledge is gained outside of class, and students must block out several hours each week to devote to their course readings, labs and assignments.
    • Contacting college professors and advisors when there are questions or needs is the responsibility of the student. Students academic records are protected under FERPA, and students must sign a release form (PDF) for the college to discuss educational records with a parent/guardian.
    • Becoming comfortable with  reaching out for support and assistance at the first sign of need is integral for CCP students — and a lifelong skill that students will take with them!

  • You may take courses at North Central State College’s Main Campus, Crawford Center, Kehoe Center, online, or at your high school, if offered.

    These school districts have partnered with North Central State College to provide CCP courses in their high schools:

    • Ashland
    • Ashland County – West Holmes Career Center
    • Buckeye Central
    • Centerburg
    • Clear Fork
    • Colonel Crawford
    • Crestline
    • Crestview
    • EHOVE
    • Galion
    • Hillsdale
    • Loudonville
    • Lucas
    • Madison
    • Mansfield Senior
    • Mansfield Christian
    • Mount Gilead
    • Northwestern
    • Norwalk
    • Norwayne
    • Ontario
    • Pioneer Career and Technology Center
    • Plymouth
    • Shelby
    • South Central
    • Wayne County Schools Career Center
    • West Holmes
    • Willard
    • Wynford

  • In most cases, yes, CCP is available at no or minimal cost to the student and family.

    That being said, there are instances where course costs may become the student and parent/guardian’s responsibility:

    1. Public School Student Potential Financial Requirements
    2. Nonpublic/Homeschool Student Potential Financial Requirements
    3. Failing or Withdrawing from a course