Testing and Assessment Services
The Student Success Center administers several tests to new students for course placement purposes. Some assessments may be waived with equivalent ACT scores or transfer credit. If you are unsure if you need testing, contact the Student Success Center at 419-755-4536 to determine if you need an assessment.
All new students are evaluated in three areas:
Reading – May be waived with an ACT Reading score of 21 and above or transfer credit for ENGL1010 (ENG101)
Writing – May be waived with an ACT English score of 18 and above or transfer credit for ENGL1010 (ENG101)
Mathematics – May be waived with an ACT Math score of 21 and above or transfer credit for any of the following: MATH1010, MATH1030, MATH1050, or MATH1110 (MTH121, MTH122, MTH130, MTH130)
This assessment is best completed before the student enrolls in any classes, but must be taken before completing 13 credit hours of classes. The ACCUPLACER assessment must be completed before any of the following courses can be taken: READ0080, WRIT0090, MATH0070, MATH0072, MATH0074, MATH0086, MATH1010, MATH1030, MATH1050, and MATH1110, STAT1000, STAT1010, or STAT1030. Other courses may also have math or English pre-requisite requirements.
Students who have already completed an Associates degree or Bachelor’s degree may not be required to take the ACCUPLACER. Contact the Admissions Office to see if previous credit can be applied towards this assessment.
Note: The first ACCUPLACER test for each student is FREE, however, effective May 1, 2012, a Non-Refundable fee of $25 applies to any Accuplacer retest (not taken in conjunction the Solutions Program).
To register for ACCUPLACER Retest:
- Schedule a ACCUPLACER retest appointment by calling 419-755-4536.
- Take the completed ACCUPLACER Retest Payment Form (PDF), opens in a new window and $25 payment to Cashier’s Office.
- Present the “paid” ACCUPLACER Retest Payment Form to the Student Success Center when you arrive for your retest appointment.
When should you prepare?
- Before taking the ACCUPLACER
- Save time and money by preparing for the ACCUPLACER before testing. This can help avoid taking unnecessary classes as well as save on the need to retest.
Ways to Prepare for the Accuplacer
Online ACCUPLACER Next Generation Preparation
Use any of the following sites for practice and review of Reading, Writing, or Math
- Accuplacer Sample Questions by CollegeBoard, opens in a new window
- Be sure to scroll to the very bottom of the page to access the sample questions pdfs
- Accuplacer Web-Based Study App, opens in a new window (Features live tests) *Preferred
- Create a free account
- Make sure to Change the Test Version to “Next Generation Practice Tests”
- Mometrix Accuplacer Study Guide Videos, opens in a new window (YouTube)
- Be sure to study the Next Generation practice materials
Your skills will be tested in two separate areas — keyboarding and four computer skills areas (Internet, Outlook, Windows 7, and Word 2013. See below for a detailed list of the tasks that students need to carry out in the assessment).
Successful completion of the Computer Literacy Assessment satisfies two requirements:
- Keyboarding – A Keyboarding score of at least 24 net words per minute satisfies this requirement
- CISS1020: Introduction to Computers – A Computer Skills score of at least 85% or 34/40 satisfies this requirement
The Computer Literacy Assessment (PDF), opens in a new window requires you to understand and be able to perform tasks on the computer in four skills areas as follows:
- Use hyperlink to go to another web page
- Navigate using back/forward buttons
- Display specific web site by web address
- Copy Text or pictures from web page
- Go to a Favorite using Favorites Bar or List
- Set your Home page
- Find previously visited pages by using History or Address bar
- Create new Tab or Close Tab
- Change view size using Zoom function
- Open an Attachment
- Display unread email
- Display unread email with an attachment
- Create new email
- Send email to recipient using “cc” (carbon copy)
- Reply to an email
- Send an email to “Contact” from “Address Book”
- Send an email to “Contact Group”
- Attach a document to an email
- Sort email by sent from, subject, date sent
- Close a program
- Close a window
- Display contents of a specific drive/folder
- Minimize or Reactivate a window
- Create a new folder
- Move a file into a folder using drag method
- Rename a file or folder
- Open or Close a file
- Switch programs
- Start a program
Computer Literacy Assessment Retest Form (PDF), opens in a new window
- Open a document
- Save a document
- Save a file using existing name, location
- Use “Save As” function to save in new location
- Set margins
- Change text to Bold
- Change font style or size of font
- Copy text
- Paste Text in different location
- Use Print and Print Preview functions
Want to practice your computer skills before taking the assessment or before retesting? The Learning Express Library has free online tutorials to improve your computer skills:
Click here to access the free online tutorials through Learning Express Library, opens in a new window and follow the steps below:
- Hover over “Plan It” and click “Assessments and Training”
- Click “Get Started” next to “Computer Skills” and then click Continue
Students will have one (1) opportunity to take the Computer Literacy Computer Skills (PDF), opens in a new window portion of the assessment, free of charge. Any student wishing to retest on the 4 core competencies — Internet, Email, Windows, and Word processing — must get approval from the Student Success Center, make an appointment, and pay a retest fee of $15.00 to the cashier prior to retesting.
Learn More About ATI TEAS
The ATI TEAS is required for admission to:
- Associate Degree Nursing
- Practical Nursing Certificate
The test is a 4-hour assessment that requires prior registration and fee payment at the Cashier’s Office, room 140 Kee Hall.
As a service to North Central State students, the college provides proctoring services for making up NC State Exams, free of charge.
Please submit your exam request (link below) at least 48 hours in advance and allow multiple dates that the student can take the test to ensure space availability in the testing center. We will do our best to fulfill the requested timeframe. If we are unable to fulfill the timeframe you have provided, a testing center staff member will reach out to you directly.
You can view NC State Makeup Exam availability by logging into your AdvisorTrac by following the steps below:
- When logged into AdvisorTrac, switch to Consultant View.
- Once the page has loaded, under “Appointments” click on the link that states “Search for Availabilities”
- From here, you can enter in the student’s ID number or name and select the reason as “NC State Makeup Exams.”
- Once you hit search, a list of available openings will appear to the right. These indicate the dates in which makeup exams are being offered.
If you have questions, or would like to confirm directly if a date is available, please contact Casey Kelley at 419-755-4736 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below is the link to the electronic form which can be used to request NC State Make-Up Exam Services:
As a service to the students of other educational institutions, North Central State College can be utilized as a proctoring site for non-NC State exams or Accuplacer placement assessment for admission to another college. A $25 fee applies to each exam or Accuplacer assessment appointment.* Please contact the Proctoring Department to schedule your appointment at least five (5) business days prior to your exam due date to ensure sufficient time for all examination materials to be delivered, as well as individual proctor availability.
* Franklin University students are not required to pay for Proctoring Services up front, as their institution is billed for this service at the end of each semester.
Learn More About Specialized Support Services