Paying for college can be one of the toughest parts of earning your degree but it shouldn’t prevent you from achieving your educational goals. The Financial Aid office has many options, which include grants, scholarships, and student loans.
The Application Process: Students must reapply each year to be considered for financial assistance. If you need assistance in paying for college, these steps will help you apply for federal student aid and for financial aid at North Central State College.
Step 1 – Create a Federal Student Aid ID: The FSA ID – You will use this user name/password to sign your FAFSA each year as well as to accept student loans (if you choose to do so). If you do not already have an FSA ID, you can create one when logging in to: fafsa.gov
Step 2 – Gather Required Documents to Apply for Federal Aid
The following information is required for the completion of the FAFSA:
- Student’s social security number and a household parent’s social security number and birth date (if dependent)
- Student’s driver’s license number
- Federal income tax information for all members of the student’s household (student, spouse and parents if dependent)
- Untaxed income received in the household (child support, veteran’s benefits, social security, etc.)
- Information on any investments or assets (not including the home)
Step 3 – Complete the FAFSA
Complete and submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) each year after October 1st to have eligibility determined for federal, state and some types of institutional financial aid. Apply at: fafsa.gov
|If you plan to attend in…||You will submit this FAFSA…||You can submit the FAFSA from…||Using income and tax information from…|
|Fall 2018 – Summer 2019||2018 – 2019||October 1, 2017 – June 30, 2019||2016|
|Fall 2019 – Summer 2020||2019 – 2020||October 1, 2018 – June 30, 2020||2017|
Step 4 – Submit High School/GED Documentation
Submit high school/GED documentation. Acceptable documents are a copy of your final high school transcript (showing date of graduation) or GED certificate. Submit your documentation to the Admissions Office.
Step 5 – Financial Aid Office Processing
Once the financial aid office has your FAFSA application and high school/GED documentation, we will process your application and let you know if you were awarded or if your application was chosen for verification.
- Complete verification (if selected). The FAFSA processor selects about one-third of applicants for verification – a procedure to double-check information you entered on your FAFSA. If you are selected, our office will contact you to provide directions. Aid cannot be determined until verification is complete.
- If you are eligible for Federal grants, they will be automatically accepted on your award notification.
- To receive any offered student loan, students have to complete an Entrance Counselling session and sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN) at studentloans.gov
The FAFSA deadline is always 4 weeks before the tuition deadline. If you complete the financial aid process after the FAFSA deadline, you may still receive your aid in time for the upcoming semester – though it is not guaranteed. Please be prepared to make a payment if your financial aid is not awarded prior to the tuition deadline.
If your financial aid does not cover your costs, you may be eligible for additional loans. Any remaining balance due after financial aid is taken into account will need to be paid before the semester begins in the form of a payment plan or a full payment.
Financial Aid FAQs
I've completed the FAFSA online. What happens next?
When should I apply for aid?
What is verification?
How do I apply for a student loan?
What is North Central State College's Federal school code to be entered on my FAFSA?
How can I check to see if my FAFSA has been processed?
What is the definition of an independent student?
What do I do if I or my parents will experience a change in income or benefits for the coming school year?
Can I apply for aid if I haven't yet completed my taxes?
North Central State College
Attn: Financial Aid
2441 Kenwood Circle
Mansfield, OH 44906-1546