An “internship” is a form of experiential learning that integrates knowledge and theory learned in the classroom with practical application and skill development in a professional setting. Internships give students the opportunity to gain valuable applied experience and make connections in professional fields they are considering for career paths; and give employers the opportunity to guide and evaluate talent.
NC State has associate and certificate programs in business, engineering, information technology, graphic design, health, human services, criminal justice and liberal arts. Students present a wide variety of skills and talents for meeting local workforce needs.
Internships can be paid or unpaid opportunities. Students can also sometimes incorporate internships into their academic studies, if they collaborate with faculty. This webpage offers helpful resources and tips for students and employers in obtaining and creating internships.
Thinking of starting an Internship Program at your company?
Internships can be paid or unpaid opportunities for students. If you are offering an upaid internship, you should familiarize yourself with Fair Labor Standards Act guidelines. We recognize the value of all internships, paid and unpaid, and we will make these available.
Funded Internship Opportunities with Grants
Great Lakes Higher Education Guaranty Corporation Career Ready Internship Grant
More information can be found here. (PDF)
Contact Paula Waldruff about getting involved!
Ohio Means Internships & Co-ops 3 Grant
Contact Paula Waldruff for more info!
Stay tuned for Ohio Means Internships & Co-ops 4 info!
We encourage you to post your positions on College Central Network, so as to reach as many candidates as possible for a strong applicant pool. If you do not have an account, follow the link and select “Employers.” From there, you will “Create Account” and register. NC State adheres to EOE policies.
Other Recruitment Resources & Ideas:
- Take advantage of all on-campus events: Spring Job & Internship Fair, Speed Networking Meet & Greet, others
- Contact faculty (PDF) on campus to partner. Programs with established curricular internship support: Visual Communication/Graphic Design, Business/Marketing, Accounting, Information Technology & Cyber Security
- Invite students, faculty, or staff to your facility
Your internship search to-do list:
- Make appointment with Paula, Career Pathway Coordinator (email@example.com).
- Draft a resume, and send to Paula.
- Do you have an internship in mind already? Think about your search process.
Job & Internship Fair—An open house, come-and-go event on campus for students from every major! Dress for success and bring copies of your resume! Giveaways for attending!
Career Closet—Come “shop” for free, gently used professional clothing before the job fair!
Resume Prep Workshops—Walk-in resume workshops in computer labs on the Mansfield Campus and at the Kehoe Center during fall and spring semesters in preparation for the big recruitment fairs! Get that resume prepped!
Internship Meet & Greet—Find your internship at the speed networking Meet & Greet! This fall event is a great opportunity to talk with different employers about what you have to offer their company in the spring or summer! Stay tuned for next year’s event!
Resources for Students
- Resume Writing Guide (PDF), opens in a new window
- Action Verb List (PDF), opens in a new window
- Transferable Skills (PDF), opens in a new window
- Cover Letter Guide (PDF), opens in a new window
- Ultimate Interview Guide (PDF), opens in a new window
- List of Practice Questions (PDF), opens in a new window
- 60 Second Elevator Speech (PDF), opens in a new window
- How to Follow-Up (PDF), opens in a new window
Resources for Employers
- Developing an Effective Internship (PDF), opens in a new window
- Employer Hiring Timeline (PDF), opens in a new window
- NACE: Internships, opens in a new window
- Indiana Employer’s Guide to Internships (PDF), opens in a new window
- College Central Network Employer Registration Help Guide (PDF), opens in a new window
- General Posting Policies (PDF), opens in a new window
- Student-to-Student Promotional/Sales Policies (PDF), opens in a new window
- Standard Practice Statement for Indirect Postings (PDF), opens in a new window
Please contact the Career Counselor for a Third Party Recruiter Agreement Form