An “internship” is a form of experiential learning that integrates knowledge and theory learned in the classroom with practical application and skill development in a professional setting. Internships give students the opportunity to gain valuable applied experience and make connections in professional fields they are considering for career paths; and give employers the opportunity to guide and evaluate talent.
NC State has associate and certificate programs in business, engineering, information technology, graphic design, health, human services, criminal justice and liberal arts. Students present a wide variety of skills and talents for meeting local workforce needs.
Internships can be paid or unpaid opportunities. Students can also sometimes incorporate internships into their academic studies, if they collaborate with faculty. This webpage offers helpful resources and tips for students and employers in obtaining and creating internships.
Thinking of starting an Internship Program at your company?
Internships can be paid or unpaid opportunities for students. If you are offering an unpaid internship, you should familiarize yourself with Fair Labor Standards Act guidelines. We recognize the value of all internships, paid and unpaid, and we will make these available.
We encourage you to post your positions on College Central Network as an effective way to reach as many candidates as possible for a strong applicant pool. If you do not have an account, follow the link and select “Employers.” From there, you will “Create Account” and register. NC State adheres to EOE policies.
Other Recruitment Resources & Ideas:
- Take advantage of all on-campus events: Spring Job & Internship Fair, Fall Internship & Co-op event, and others
- Contact your instructor to discuss options. Programs with established curricular internship support: Visual Communication/Graphic Design, Business/Marketing, Accounting, Information Technology & Cyber Security
- Invite students, faculty, or staff to your facility
Your internship search to-do list:
- Make appointment with the Career Pathway & Internship Coordinator to begin the process.
- Draft a resume, and send to Career Services.
- Do you have an internship in mind already? If not, think about your search process.
- Begin your search.
Job & Internship Fair—Looking for a full-time, part-time, summer job, or internship? We have employers from all industries who come to recruit at our Job & Internship Fair! Stay tuned for the Spring 2023 Job & Internship Fair.
Career Closet—Do you need some professional clothing for the upcoming employment fair of job interview? We have racks and racks of gently used professional clothing that students can choose from!
Please contact Career Services at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 419-755-4896 in order to set up an appointment to shop.
Resume Prep Workshops—Come work on your resume while getting one-on-one attention from the career services and internship staff! This is great prep for the career networking events! Stay tuned for our next Resume Workshops in Spring 2023!
Fall Internship Event—Find your internship at fall internship & co-op event. An internship focused event is hosted each fall and offers students the opportunity to talk with different employers about spring and summer internship and co-op opportunities! Stay tuned for our next internship focused event in Fall 2023.
Resources for Students
- Resume Writing Guide (PDF), opens in a new window
- Action Verb List (PDF), opens in a new window
- Transferable Skills (PDF), opens in a new window
- Cover Letter Guide (PDF), opens in a new window
- Ultimate Interview Guide (PDF), opens in a new window
- List of Practice Questions (PDF), opens in a new window
- 60 Second Elevator Speech (PDF), opens in a new window
- How to Follow-Up (PDF), opens in a new window
Resources for Employers
- College Central Network Employer Registration Help Guide (PDF), opens in a new window
- General Posting Policies (PDF), opens in a new window
- Student-to-Student Promotional/Sales Policies (PDF), opens in a new window
- Standard Practice Statement for Indirect Postings (PDF), opens in a new window
Please contact the Internship Coordinator for a Third Party Recruiter Agreement Form