An “internship” is a form of experiential learning that integrates knowledge and theory learned in the classroom with practical application and skill development in a professional setting. Internships give students the opportunity to gain valuable applied experience and make connections in professional fields they are considering for career paths; and give employers the opportunity to guide and evaluate talent.
NC State has associate and certificate programs in business, engineering, information technology, graphic design, health, human services, criminal justice and liberal arts. Students present a wide variety of skills and talents for meeting local workforce needs.
Internships can be paid or unpaid opportunities. Students can also sometimes incorporate internships into their academic studies, if they collaborate with faculty. This webpage offers helpful resources and tips for students and employers in obtaining and creating internships.
Thinking of starting an Internship Program at your company?
Internships can be paid or unpaid opportunities for students. If you are offering an unpaid internship, you should familiarize yourself with Fair Labor Standards Act guidelines. We recognize the value of all internships, paid and unpaid, and we will make these available.
Ohio Means Internships & Co-ops 3 and 4 Grant
Contact Alicia Camak for more info!
We encourage you to post your positions on College Central Network, so as to reach as many candidates as possible for a strong applicant pool. If you do not have an account, follow the link and select “Employers.” From there, you will “Create Account” and register. NC State adheres to EOE policies.
Other Recruitment Resources & Ideas:
- Take advantage of all on-campus events: Spring Job & Internship Fair, Speed Networking Meet & Greet, others
- Contact your instructor to discuss options. Programs with established curricular internship support: Visual Communication/Graphic Design, Business/Marketing, Accounting, Information Technology & Cyber Security
- Invite students, faculty, or staff to your facility
Your internship search to-do list:
- Make appointment with Alicia, Internship Coordinator.
- Draft a resume, and send to Alicia.
- Do you have an internship in mind already? Think about your search process.
Job & Internship Fair—An open house, come-and-go event on campus for students from every major! Dress for success and bring copies of your resume! Stay tuned for our next event in the spring of 2020.
Career Closet—Come “shop” for free, gently used professional clothing before the job fair! Our next Career Closet events will be October 23rd from 10am-2pm at the BLIC on main campus and October 30th from 10am-2pm at the Kehoe Center in Shelby.
Resume Prep Workshops—Walk-in resume workshops in computer labs on the Mansfield Campus and at the Kehoe Center during fall and spring semesters in preparation for the big recruitment fairs! Get that resume prepped! Our next resume workshops are on October 21st from 11am-2pm at the BLIC, October 30th from 10am-2pm at the Kehoe Center in Shelby, November 4th from 10am-2pm at the BLIC and November 12th from 11:30am-4:30pm at the BLIC.
Internship Meet & Greet—Find your internship at the speed networking Meet & Greet! This fall event is a great opportunity to talk with different employers about what you have to offer their company in the spring or summer! Our next Meet & Greet is scheduled for November 14th from 3:30pm-5pm at the Student Union.
Resources for Students
- Resume Writing Guide (PDF), opens in a new window
- Action Verb List (PDF), opens in a new window
- Transferable Skills (PDF), opens in a new window
- Cover Letter Guide (PDF), opens in a new window
- Ultimate Interview Guide (PDF), opens in a new window
- List of Practice Questions (PDF), opens in a new window
- 60 Second Elevator Speech (PDF), opens in a new window
- How to Follow-Up (PDF), opens in a new window
Resources for Employers
- Developing an Effective Internship (PDF), opens in a new window
- Employer Hiring Timeline (PDF), opens in a new window
- College Central Network Employer Registration Help Guide (PDF), opens in a new window
- General Posting Policies (PDF), opens in a new window
- Student-to-Student Promotional/Sales Policies (PDF), opens in a new window
- Standard Practice Statement for Indirect Postings (PDF), opens in a new window
Please contact the Internship Coordinator for a Third Party Recruiter Agreement Form