The Sci-Med Academy will provide three distinct pathways designed to prepare students who plan to pursue advanced degrees in:
- Bioscience, Biology, Chemistry
- Health/Medical Studies
- Science Education
Successful graduates will receive an Associate of Science degree. They will simultaneously complete the requirements to receive their high school diploma while enrolled in the Sci-Med Academy.
Similar to the College-NOW academies, students will enroll in the Sci-Med Academy at the beginning of their junior year of high school. They will be enrolled full-time at NC State throughout their junior and senior years. All classes will take place on the NC State College campus.
The Sci-Med Academy is not designed as a terminal degree. Instead, students will be provided the opportunity to engage in college-level coursework in foundational studies of the natural sciences, anatomy, physiology, etc. The degree will prepare students to transition to a four-year university to pursue a higher-level degree. All courses, except Bioscience, are included in either the Ohio Transfer Module (OTM) or Transfer Assurance Guide (TAG) for transfer credit to any public institution in Ohio.
We encourage you to work with your high school counselor. You may also contact the NC State College Health Sciences Center at 419-755-4805 for more information about the new Sci-Med Academy at NC State.
Total Semester Hours: 62
FALL - Year One
SPRING - Year One
FALL - Year Two
SPRING - Year Two
c = Can be concurrent m = Must be concurrent
All students entering the degree must be college ready needing no developmental courses. All students must have completed high school Chemistry or CHEM 1010 at
North Central State College with C- or better.
All students must complete the curriculum courses in the sequence of semesters indicated.
All courses must receive a final grade of “C” or better to continue in the program.
Three Pathways are possible in this degree program as follows.
1. Bioscience Pathway = BIOS 1010, BIOS 1210, and BIOS 2440
2. Health = BIOL 1570, BIOL 2751, and BIOL 2752
3. Science Education = BIOL 1730, PHYS 1110, and PHYS 1130
+OTM = Ohio Transfer Module, courses accepted by any public college or university in Ohio
++ TAG = Transfer Assurance Guide, courses accepted by any public college or university in Ohio
* All incoming students will be required to provide ACT scores or take a placement test. Based on their scores, students will be placed in appropriate English and mathematics courses. Successful completion of developmental English, and mathematics prerequisites require a grade of C- or above in the course. Developmental English and mathematics course prerequisites can also be attained through placement testing. See the Standardized Testing Cutoff Scores for specific tests and test scores.
The College strongly recommends that students be covered by hospitalization insurance, which can be purchased through a private carrier. To obtain a brochure regarding insurance, contact the Student Success Center. (Rm 103 Kee Hall) or call toll free 888-755-4899, ext. 4761 or locally 419-755-4761.