COVID-19 @ NC State
Important information for Students, Faculty & Staff
The following protocols are in place for everyone at NC State:
- Well-fitted masks are required when inside all NC State buildings, unless you are alone in your office.
- Maintain social distancing whenever possible.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for 20 seconds. Use hand sanitizer when washing your hands is not possible.
- Cough into your elbow.
- Try not to touch your eyes and nose.
- We ask you to self-monitor your personal health.
- Stay home if you are sick, especially with flu-like symptoms.
Reported illnesses have ranged from mild symptoms to severe illness and death for confirmed coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases.
Symptoms* may appear 2-10 days after an exposure. They include:
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- Sinus Infection
- Body aches
- Intestinal distress or vomiting
*New variants, including Delta and Omicron have included new symptoms. Please consult your medical provider for any other symptoms that are severe or concerning.
Each COVID quarantine situation is dependent on a number of variables. Below are a few examples. We will work with each student or staff member on a case-by-case basis. The new guidelines from the Center for Disease Control reduce the quarantine periods to five day periods. Your vaccination situation plays a key role in what your quarantine experience will be:
When you find you have been exposed or have symptoms:
- You should fill out the form and wait for administration to contact you before returning to campus.
- If you are fully vaccinated, have received your booster, and do not have any symptoms, you can go about your business, attend class and come to campus if you wear a well-fitted mask at all times. You should test day five. If your test is positive, you will be asked to quarantine for five days.
- If you are fully vaccinated, have received your booster, and have any symptoms, you need to quarantine for five days from the time your symptoms began. You should test on day five. If your test is positive, you will be asked to quarantine for five days from the time you tested positive. You should not return to campus until your symptoms improve and you have no fever without using medication.
- If you are not vaccinated and do not have any symptoms, you need to quarantine for five days from the time of your exposure. CDC recommendation is that you test on the fifth day. If your test is positive, you will be asked to quarantine for five days from the time you tested positive. You should not return to campus until your symptoms improve and you have no fever without using medication.
In no case should you return to campus with symptoms. If you test positive for COVID, please complete the form at this link, and an administrator will call you to discuss your situation.
If you are a student, you also need to contact your faculty members to make sure they know you have been affected by COVID-19.
Deep Cleaning every night
All public spaces, classrooms and labs that are in use are cleaned and disinfected every night.
Sanitize during the day
Spray bottles with sanitizer are provided in every classroom and lab. student spaces should be misted between classes.
The air handling units in all NC State buildings have been updated with UV ionization units that clean the air being circulated.