Veterans Benefits

VA Educational Benefits Certifying Official (HB488 Role):

Amanda Kaltenbaugh

Assistant Director of Financial Aid

Office Location: 143-Kee Hall

(419) 755-4723

Veteran & Service Member Affairs Contact Person (HB488 Role):

Shane Smith

Retention Specialist

Office Location:Student Success Center

(419) 755-4730

Tell Us What You Think

Take the NC State Survey, opens in a new window and let us know
how well we served you as a veteran.

Veterans attending North Central State College may be eligible to receive benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs when pursuing most associate degree programs.

Benefits are available under the following programs:

Benefit Title: Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty
Chapter: Chapter 30
Description: For veterans who served under active duty and contributed to the GI Bill fund
: No
: No
Benefit Title: Post 9/11 GI Bill
Chapter: Chapter 33
Description: The Post 9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after 09/11/01, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days
: No
: No
Benefit Title: Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve/Ohio National Guard
Chapter: Chapter 1606
Description: For members of Selected Reserve or Ready Reserve
: No
: No
Benefit Title: Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
Chapter: Chapter 1607
Description: Members of the Reserves of the Armed forces who are called to duty for 90 days or more. Members may be eligible after serving 90 consecutive days on active duty after September 11, 2001
: No
: No
Benefit Title: Vocational Rehabilitation
Chapter: Chapter 31
Description: For veterans with a service-connected disability
: No
: No
Benefit Title: Survivor & Dependent Educational Assistance
Chapter: Chapter 35
Description: For children and spouses of veterans whose death or disability is 100% service-connected
: No
: No

How to Apply for Educational Benefits

  1. Determine if you are eligible for benefits. Call the VA if you are uncertain (1-888-GI BILL-1). Note: each program has individual requirements for eligibility
  2. All applications should be submitted online here, opens in a new window
    1. For the GI Bill  and Post 9/11 GI Bill(Chapter 30 and Chapter 33), complete an application (Form 22-1990). Please note you must submit a copy of your application and a copy of your DD-214 with Member 4 showing “Honorable Discharge” to the VA Certifying official.
    2. For Selected Reserve Educational Assistance (Chapter 1606), complete an application (Form 22-1990). Please note you must submit a copy of your application and a copy Notice of Basic Eligibility (“NOBE” Form 2384 obtained through your unit’s Education Liaison) to the VA Certifying official.
    3. For Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31) benefits, contact your local representative. The Cleveland area number is 216-522-3536. The Columbus area number is 614-469-6780.
    4. For Survivor & Dependents (Chapter 35) benefits, complete the Application for Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance application (Form 22-5490). Please note you must submit a copy of your application to the VA Certifying Official.
  3. You will receive a Certificate of Eligibility. Submit one copy to Financial Aid Office, located in Kee Hall.
  4. For each semester submit an NC State Request for Veterans Benefits form, opens in a new window after registering for classes. Register and submit your paperwork as early as possible to minimize delays.

Benefit Questions

For specific questions regarding your GI Bill Educational Benefits, please call the GI Bill Hotline at: 1-888-GIBILL-1. Questions specific to your benefits, eligibility, expiration of benefits or payments should be directed to this phone number. Unfortunately, we do not have access to this information, and are unable to provide any information specific to your benefit allotment.

Information about Montgomery GI Bill pay rates, opens in a new window.

Information about all VA benefits can be found on the US Department of Veteran’s Affairs website at:, opens in a new window.

GI Bill Update: For important information about the changes to the GI Bill recently signed into law (Post-9/11 Veterans Education Assistance Act of 2008), please visit:, opens in a new window and follow the links to additional information. Students should not contact the GI Bill hotline at this time. Students can sign up to receive additional information regarding updates through the GI Bill site.


Notify the NC State VA Certifying Official of any changes in enrollment, address, or major. Please note you must submit copies off all paperwork to the VA certifying official. Change of major forms for the VA can be found here  (PDF), opens in a new window

Transfer students, must complete a Change of Program or Place of Training application (PDF), opens in a new window


Military Transcripts

*Please note the Financial Aid Office/VA School Certifying Official can not request transcripts for students