Financial Aid FAQs

  • You will receive confirmation that your FAFSA data has been processed in the form of a Student Aid Report (SAR). If you listed an email address, it will be sent to your email. The schools listed on your student aid report (SAR) will determine your eligibility for financial aid and notify you in writing of your financial aid eligibility. The school also notifies the student if any other information is required to complete the financial aid process.

  • For need-based financial aid it is recommended that you complete the FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1 prior to the school year for which you seek financial assistance–you must reapply for financial aid each year. Finally, it is important to promptly submit all documentation requested by the financial aid office. Your financial aid will not be available to pay for tuition and charges until your file is complete and all forms are processed.

    For scholarships, you are encouraged to meet the deadlines announced with each scholarship source.

  • NC State’s Federal school code is 005313.

  • To be considered an independent student for financial aid consideration, you must be able to answer “yes” to one of the seven questions in Step Three on the FAFSA. If you cannot answer “yes” to one of these questions, you are considered a dependent student and must include parental information on the form. However, if you feel you have extenuating circumstances and should be considered an independent student, you must file an appeal with the financial aid office. At NC State, the following situations are NOT usually considered to be valid reasons for independent student status:

    • You do not reside with your parents, or you support yourself
    • Your parents refuse to pay for your college education
    • Your parents are not financially able to pay for your education
    • You were married after you applied for financial aid
    • You do not want your parents’ help and have decided to pay for your own college education.

  • Contact the financial aid office and request a Special Circumstances form.  All requests for special consideration or adjustments to the financial aid package  must be accompanied by appropriate documentation. You will receive a written request if additional information is needed to process the Special Circumstances Application.

  • Call the financial aid office to verify that we have received your information or call the Federal Processor at 1-800-433-3243 to find out if your SAR has been processed. Be sure to have your SAR available when you call, you will need to give the representative the four-digit Data Release Number (DRN) assigned to your SAR. If you filled your FAFSA electronically over the internet you can also check the status of your application online using your PIN number.

  • Verification is the process of checking the information reported on your FAFSA for accuracy. If your application is selected, the financial aid office is required to collect certain financial documents (e.g., IRS Tax Transcripts) from you and your parents or spouse, if applicable. Information from these documents is then compared to your FAFSA information and changes made when necessary. Financial aid applicants are selected for verification by the federal processor. The financial aid office may also select applicants for verification to correct any potential conflicts in information.

  • Yes, you may complete FAFSA using estimated income. However, if you report estimated financial information on your FAFSA, you may be selected for verification.

  • Please see the loan page for more info on student loans